Friday, February 8, 2013

DIY Project: full pleated skirt (newspaper print)

Lee esto en Castellano
I don't usually make more than one DIY per "inspiration". But in this case, having a newspaper print skirt was more than a whim for me. It was a real need! I saw the original skirt by the designer Carrie Hammer at I Spy DIY, and immediately remembered this newspaper fabric from my favorite fabric store in Barcelona. Actually, I think it's exactly the same fabric! Great issues of globalization!

You guys probably saw this DIY a few days ago on Twitter or Instagram. But here comes the tutorial in pictures and the video step by step. It's a high waist pleated skirt, an easy piece for sewing beginners!  
I decided not to iron the pleats in order to get a fuller effect. What do you guys think?

Have a great weekend! Next monday I'll be back with some great, amazing news! Meanwhile, make sure you are subscribed to Dare to DIY's Youtube channel here.

xxx

UPDATE: I just found an spanish online store where they sell this fabric (actually it is the online store of the fabric store I went to) They ship internationally! http://www.tiendatelas.com/inicio/hogar/lonetas-estampadas/periodico

17 comments:

  1. Fabulous skirt, especially the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this tutorial! Thank you for posting it. Can you please share where you bought your fabric from? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it really that simple? It looks absolutely gorgeous, I'll have to make one (at least one!) from Emily x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's perfect to start with the sewing machine! Try it and send me some pictures ;)

      xxx

      Delete
  4. A wonderful DIY tutorial. Could we have the website of the fabric store???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure! It's this one, http://www.tiendatelas.com/ But I don't know if they ship internationally or if they have all their fabrics available online.

      Delete
    2. I found it!! http://www.tiendatelas.com/inicio/hogar/lonetas-estampadas/periodico

      Delete
    3. Sylvia, Thank you so much for the link to Tiendatelas. Just out of curiousity, How much yardage (metro(s)) did you purchase? Reading the description of the width..It is a large piece of material. Also despite the time zone difference, Thank you for your response to my questions.

      Delete
  5. You don't have to say thank you for that. I'm so happy to help! It comes in a large roll and the fabric is doble (It is folded in half and rolled). I bought 1/2 meter (50 cm) and I still have a lot of spare fabric. Don't forget to send me a picture of your skirt :) I would love to see it!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This skirt is a super easy model but the fabric makes the difference so it looks very cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found this post yesterday and I immediately made a skirt with your instructions, my mother said she saw this print on the market so we went there today, bought half a meter.. And you know what, I did not expect to have the exact same pattern :O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I just finished mine! I love it! Thanks a lot for this DIY!!

      Delete
    2. Really??? That's amazing, you just made me soooo happy :) I'm so glad you could do it! Send me a picture if you have a minute, I would love to see it!

      Delete
  8. Hi, I love your skirt and want to buy the fabric but want to make sure that I have the correct understanding. When you fold your pleats, what is the distance between the two pleats? I can see the width of the pleat is about 2.5" but want to know the section under the pleats? Hope you understand my meaning, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. iParrot Post is a global read and reporting news platform that enable users to post their account of events witnessed, worthy local and International news. iParrot Post is a breaking news portal.iParrot Post exists to provide independent news and information to the masses, comprised of news feeds from around the world. We enable our users and subscribers to submit local News that they see as important. It is also a portal to allow users and subscribers to comment and contribute to the News events of the day.
    Worldwide News UK | English UK News | Local UK News | UK Political News | English British Sports News | Business UK News | Breaking UK News | Technology UK News |

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw yeah! I was searching for a diy like this!

    THANK YOU SO MUCH! :D

    http://alice-inabigworld.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...